This post was most recently updated on March 30th, 2020
How do you start with meditation when you can’t sit still for two minutes? Or find it hard to ’empty’ your mind? Find out from a practitioner of 17+ years, Giovanni Dienstmann, meditation teach and the author of “Practical Meditation”.
Why and How to Meditate?
Benefits of Meditation
Meditation has so many health and well-being benefits. The main reason you might want to consider meditation is simply to feel better.
Well-Being Benefits of Meditation
So, a daily practice of getting comfortable and relaxing in meditation offers you many rewards.
How to Strengthen Your Meditation Practice
Here are some tips to motivate you to start your journey in connecting with the nature within for your wellness.
Six Best Meditation Tips
From Giovanni (Author of Practical Meditation), reproduced with permission:
“Meditation is a practice with profound physical, mental, emotional and spiritual benefits.
The key to these benefits and the transformation it can bring is developing a daily meditation practice. Consistency is essential.
Some people find it challenging to build a daily habit. Maybe it’s a lack of time, discipline, motivation, etc. I have studied habit-building science and developed all sorts of habits throughout my life.Giovanni Dienstmann, Author, Practical Mediation
So here are some tips that I’d like to share, as they relate to creating a strong meditation practice.
- Start small. It’s better to start really small, so there is absolutely no excuse for you to skip your practice. For beginners, I usually recommend start with 5min a day, and increase 1 minute per week. This may sound too gradual, but at the end of one year, you’ll be practicing 1h!
- Recommit. At the end of every session, commit to showing up for your practice the following day.
- Never zero. This means that every day you will practice, even if only 5 minutes. Make it a non-negotiable part of your life.
- No expectations. Nothing kills motivation quicker than unmet expectations. Most of the benefits of meditation come only after months or years of daily practice. So letting go of expectations sounds like a smart strategy to me.
- Be prepared. Sometimes you will feel tired, busy, or “not in the mood”. Be mentally prepared to meet those challenges with the “never zero” idea, and do the practice no matter what.
- Joyful attitude. Meditation is not a task, but a precious moment to go deep inside yourself. Enjoy the practice, and it will be easy to keep it up.”
More Practical Tips From Giovanni
If you’d like more help in building a strong meditation habit, strengthening your concentration, and finding the ideal technique for you, I invite you to have a look at Giovanni’s books and meditation courses:
Meditation Online Tutorials
Book on Practical Meditation Tips
Giovanni is author of Practical Mediation: a Simple Step-by-Step Guide. You can check out the reviews on Practical Meditation: A Simple Step-by-Step Guide at Amazon — See details
In Australia? You can get this book through Booktopia.
Hopefully these tips will help you on your journey.
About Giovanni’s Journey in Meditation
Giovanni is a teacher of meditation. He brings to his students wisdom gained from over 18 years of daily meditation practice. He has over 9,000 hours of practice and has tried 70+ different techniques.
As well, Giovanni is well versed on the wide variety of traditions in meditation. He has studied 200+ books on the topic and has been formally initiated into four different meditation traditions. He has spent 10 weeks training in a Monastery in France.
He admits he almost became a monk twice in his life’s journey.